Summer is hot and humid and sticky. While we may not always love that, you know what does? Mold spores.
Mold is maybe the most talked about concern of homeowners and has been a hot topic for years.
Why? Because mold can be a major pain in the neck and a major health hazard. It can trigger asthma attacks, allergic reactions and once you have it – it can rapidly spread. Thankfully, sometimes what you think is mold isn’t or you discover it early enough to contain it without much cost or disruption.
While it’s always advisable to call in the professionals when you’re in doubt, there are some simple steps you can take to get a good sense of a mold problem.
The first thing you can do is use your best tool – your nose. And while it won’t remove mold, Occam’s Razor is a pretty good rule to follow. Check for areas around sinks, toilets, showers and tubs, maybe even the drawers in your kitchen. If it smells moldy, it is most likely mold.
Also, be sure to check for leaks in and around faucets, under the bathroom, basement and kitchen sinks. Where there is water, there is often mold and if there isn’t yet there may be soon. It takes around 72 hours for mold to form from a steady leak so be on the lookout. Also check ceilings or tiles for mold formation if you suspect there is mold present.
Dampness is also a pretty good indication that you could have an existing or looming mold problem. In the summer months especially, humidity and dampness are a breeding ground for those mold spores to do their thing. Basements are frequent guest houses for mold issues.
Finally, if the smell and eye test give you a pretty solid indication that you have mold, call in a professional restoration and mold remediation team. They will have the expertise, tools and a plan to remove your mold problem before it spread and can even work with your homeowner’s insurance company to get you the most favorable result.